B.J. Taylor is a much sought-after speaker/teacher, traveling across the United States from California to Washington State to Florida to Pennsylvania and many places in between. She is comfortable with both large and small group interaction and also enjoys one-on-one appointments. Her goal is to help others in whatever way she can.
Montrose Christian Writers Conference
July 16-21, 2017
Have you ever wished for a conference to be held where you could relax, refresh your spiritual soul, and rock? Look at those chairs. Now that’s what B.J. calls a beautiful setting for all three. There will be tons of information for you to bolster your writing career: seminars, workshops, editorial appointments, professional critiques, all at an affordable price.
B.J. has one request from you: would you pull her aside for a serene rock in one of those awesome chairs and talk to her about your hopes and dreams as a writer? She’s there to help YOU to be the best writer you can be. In between rocking, B.J. will be doing the following while at the conference:
- Major Morning Class: “The Long and Short of It (Memoirs to Short Stories)” Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs from 10:40 to 12:10 each day
- Two afternoon classes: “Writing for Guideposts and the Guideposts Contest” and “Selling Personal Experience Short Stories”
- Private Critiques: You submit your short story up to 2,000 words or the first two chapters of a memoir up to 20 pages total. You meet with B.J. privately for 30 minutes. (fee is charged by the conference)
- Leading a free Critique Group Session on Monday afternoon
- Meeting with you for free 15-minute appointments (wherever you and B.J. can squeeze them in. . .maybe on those rocking chairs?)
B.J. Is Available to Teach and Speak to
- Dog lovers
- Women’s groups
Favorite and Requested Topics
- Writing for Guideposts/Angels on Earth/Mysterious Ways Magazines
- Getting Published In Chicken Soup for the Soul
- Writing Personal Experience Short Stories that Sell
- The Big Picture: Getting Published by Dreaming Big but Starting Small
- What I Learned from My Rescue Dog
- Writers Groups: How to Make Them Work for You
Pacesetter Award Winner
B.J. received the coveted Pacesetter Award at the 2006 Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference, the largest writers conference on the West Coast.
Guideposts Writers Workshop Winner
B.J. won a spot in the Guideposts Writers Workshop in October 2004. Invited as one of 15 participants out of thousands of entrants to attend the much-sought-after five-day event in Rye, New York, she now writes on assignment for Guideposts.
She has also judged Chicken Soup for the Soul’s 10th Anniversary Contest and was a reader for Chicken Soup for the Mothers of Preschooler’s Soul. In addition, she is a graduate of the Professional Writers Certificate Program at California State University, Long Beach.
What People Say about B.J.
“I attended two of B.J.’s workshops and came away not needing my notes to remember her teaching. I told Jeanette and Mark Littleton (conference directors), ‘I don’t know how you happened to invite BJ, but for me she was the highlight speaker of the conference.’” –Zeta Davidson, Membership Chair, HACWN Heart of America Christian Writers Network
“Our gals from Wordsowers described you as ‘delightful’ and ‘engaging.’” –Kat Crawford
“All attendees loved your presentation. They felt it was organized, comprehensive, encouraging and held their interest. All want to take another class with you.” –Marge Ball, Orange Coast College Conference Director
“Very good speaker with lots of enthusiasm.” –Owen Mascott, Spring Writers Day Event
“You answered so much of what I have wondered so long about Guideposts and Chicken Soup for the Soul writing.” –Zeta Davidson
A Few Locations of Prior Teaching/Speaking Events
- Mount Hermon (San Jose CA area) Christian Writers Conference
- Orange County (Southern California) Christian Writers Conference
- Northwest (Seattle area) Christian Writers Conference
- Heart of America (Kansas City MO) Christian Writers Network
- Florida Christian Writers Conference
- Montrose (Pennsylvania) Christian Writers Conference